ASAP welcomes new volunteers who can devote a few hours a week to the care and comfort of the deserving shelter felines while they wait for a forever home. Below are a few prerequisites:
• 12 years old with a parent/adult partner volunteer
• 16 years and up
• Shifts are 4 hours once a week
• Shorter shifts may be possible on a case by case basis
• Some roles have a more flexible schedule
Please consider seriously if you are able to make this commitment.
Special Needs Volunteers:
• If you have special needs that require you to have a mentor volunteer alongside you, the mentor is required to complete all steps of the training with you.
• ASAP does allow students to earn community service hours for volunteering at the shelter (but not for fostering). However, you must volunteer for a minimum of 4 months before we will sign off on any hours. ASAP does not offer court ordered community service.
Becoming an ASAP Volunteer
1. Submit a Volunteer Application
2. Attend an Orientation
Once your application is reviewed, you will receive an email with the dates of upcoming orientations. Orientations are designed to introduce you to ASAP Cats by providing information on our mission, our history, our relationship with Animal Services, and our Volunteer Program.
3. Attend Training
After you attend an Orientation, if you are ready to commit to becoming a volunteer, you will be scheduled to attend Training. Training is designed to give you detailed information about the operation of our shelter, cleaning procedures, disease prevention, cat temperament and handling techniques, and customer service.
Once you are assigned to a volunteer shift, you will initially work with a more experienced volunteer who will help “show you the ropes.”